So I almost died the other day. It was kinda traumatic. Ok I'll tell you the story.
It all started when I became concerned with my carbon footprint. I decided that instead of driving to work every day, I would ride the city bus. So now I park my car a couple miles down the road at the bus stop and hitch a ride. Ok so it's not at all about being environmentally friendly; I'm just too cheap to buy a parking pass. But we'll pretend I'm green.
So when I get off the bus in the afternoon, I have to cross the street. I'm a good girl, so I push the button at the crosswalk and wait for my turn. Besides the fact that my waddle is too slow to weave in and out of traffic. Now I know that pedestrians have the right-of-way, but let's face it, having the right-of-way doesn't do you much good when you get plucked by a car. And people are generally dumb, so I don't trust them. So I always make sure that the oncoming traffic sees me before I cross the street. They usually pull out into the intersection (to turn left) and wait for me to cross before they go. Not a big deal.
Monday started out like any other day. I went to work, rode the bus home, pushed the crosswalk button, blah blah. I step out into the street, watching the car coming at me. I paused, then she slowed down, so I thought she saw me. I kept walking, and then she sped up. Turns out she didn't see me at all. Which I find hard to believe, since I am 8 months pregnant, and I was wearing my bright blue capris that my mom made for me. Kinda hard to miss. So she just kept right on coming, and I had to jump - literally jump back out of the way. I don't like to jump. I had to run to catch the bus the other day, and that wasn't pretty either, but it has nothing to do with this story. She drove a little farther then stopped, like she just realized she about squished me. But then she got over it and kept going. Let's just say that I was not a happy camper that day. But don't you worry, all is well - I will live to see another day.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
My Near Death Experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Friend! I was cracking up reading this. I love your stories. I am glad that you are ok though that dumb lady!
Post a Comment