Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween Fun

When I lived in St George, I started having an annual BYOP (bring your own pumpkin) party. Well, when I got married, I decided it was time to grow up and quit having pumpkin carving parties. But then I decided I didn't want to, but it was too late to plan one. So Nick and I had our own little pumpkin carving party.

I know, we are so creative. The skull in the middle is our candy bowl. When you get a candy bar, a hand comes out the back and gets you. We took it to our ward trunk-or-treat on Thursday, and the kids thought it was great. Well, most of them. Some of the littler ones got scared and wouldn't take the candy. You know it's bad when a kid refuses free candy. There was one little boy who took a candy bar out of his bag and put it in our bowl. He hadn't quite figured out how trick or treating works.

I don't think kids realize how easy it is with trunk-or-treats these days. There were a ton of cars lined up, and the kids just kept going around in circles until the candy ran out. I got a giant bag of candy from Costco, and it was gone in about 20 minutes. I remember when I was younger, Mom would drive us around to a few houses and we would get some candy. We'd be gone for an hour and not get much because all the houses are so far apart. Now all those stinkers have to do is walk to the next parking spot. I hope someday they learn to appreciate their good fortune. Because they ate all our candy, I had to go back to Costco and get another bag of candy.

My sweet husband is such a good sport. Well, he's a pretty good sport. I made him dress up and he did, but he complained all week long. He would be a really good sport next year if he didn't complain at all, but that's wishful thinking. Anyways, this year I decided that we needed to be Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.
I know, I know. It's priceless. Before the trunk-or-treat, we had a chili cook off. I found this recipe for some pumpkin chili, so I decided to be adventerous and compete. And I won! Well, I didn't really win, but I did get second place in the mild category. I'm not a fan of hot chili. I've never had an award-winning recipe before, so it was exciting. I'm not sure what the award was though. They said someone would bring prizes to the winners, but I never got one. But I'm sure it was a great prize.

On Halloween night, we stayed home and passed out candy for a while. We had a few kids come, but not nearly enough. We still have a ton of candy at home. Then we got ready and went to a Halloween party. I went crazy and made this candy corn cake. Isn't it cute!

8 comments:

Nichole said...

that cake rocks. dish the secret my little sweet potato

Jade and Anne said...

How fun!! I was telling Jade on Halloween about our M&M costumes!!! Hmm....maybe next year! LOVE your cake! Looks amazing!

Blake and Annie Nielson said...

I remember BYOP parties slash michelle's bday party:) You guys look awesome too! And I want your cake recipe. That is so stinkin cute. Ps I love your messages. PPS i want to talk to you really this time not thru voicemail:)

Jami said...

OKAY Mrs. Betty Crocker Potato Head!!!! WAY ADORABLE, and I too want the candy corn cake recipe....and the pumpkin chili....my sisters have both made it and say it is WAY GOOD...but it gives Kim gas :)!!! HAHA...I just had to post that to embaress her...but I don't think it will :)!!! I am such a good sister!!!

Spencer and Mindy said...

ok your such a cute wife! your the Next Martha Stewart , i love it!

yes yes post the pumpkin chili recipe! yummmmm

love love the costumes!

Lacy said...

pumpkin chilie, that might be good, escpecially if you make it :) cute tater heads...shat a sport he is.

Kimberlee said...

Oh, real nice Jami! Thanks for that. In my defense let me say that I ate the pumpkin chili everyday for lunch for a week straight. That'll give anybody gas.

Toni said...

That is the cutest cake ever. You're so clever.