Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Big Weigh-In

At Ben's six month checkup the beginning of March, his doctor said he's not gaining enough weight. In February, he gained 9 oz. So he started eating baby food and doc wanted him back in a month to check him again, which was last Monday. We had some trouble with eating for a while - he didn't like it, then he was teething. We found his first tooth on March 17, then a second one last week! Anyways, last week he weighed 15 lbs 15 oz. He gained 8 oz. Half pound. He's now in the 10% for his age. Doc says it's on the "low end of worry" because he's still gaining weight, just not as fast or as much as he should.

The days before his appt reminded me of the good old days of my youth. Specifically of 4H and my little piggies. Trying to fatten them up, feeding them as much as I could before the final weigh-in. Apparently I'm better at fattening them up than I am Ben.

New plan: doc says to quit giving him juice (empty calories) and give him yogurt and cheese (cheese?) because they are higher in fat. I got the fattiest yogurt I could find, which is hard to do. They are all low fat and what not. I guess trying to be healthy or something. So I found some fatty yogurt mousse, and I'm a little jealous because it's really good. I got some american cheese and I give him little tiny bites. We're still working on that one. Sometimes he eats it really good (he hasn't choked yet), but other times he just sticks it to the roof of his mouth. I think he ate that bite so I give him another one. Pretty soon he's got a sheet of cheese in his mouth, but it eventually melts and he swallows it.

Another thing I've been doing - which is probably a little naughty - is putting some heavy whipping cream in his food. Just a little spot of it. It has the most fat in the smallest amount. A tablespoon of cream has the same fat as a thing of yogurt. Between that and the dab of brown sugar, and his sweet potatoes are quite tasty!

We have another appt at the end of the month; hopefully he will be fatter by then. Keep your fingers crossed!

0 comments: